Thursday 20 April 2017

20th April 1937 - Terrick to Mary

35 Nevern Place
S.W. 5

20th April 1937

My dearest,

Last night I was showing Renny those three photographs of you that your mother gave me and which I took out of their frame.  They made, as they did when I first saw them, a tremendous feeling of tenderness for you well up inside me.  It is just a littler edition of you now:- such a loving, lovable little girl who is too good for anyone like me or anyone else.  Heavens, I am lucky!

Yesterday I got a letter from home saying that Daddy was sending Renny and me new Revelation cases with our initials on them, and this evening they have come.  Mine is initialled "G.B.H.F"!  I shall ring up the Revelation people tomorrow & get them to change it, but I very much suspect that the fault is in my father's terrible writing.  It may be though that he ordered it verbally in Harrogate and the salesman took down G.B. instead of T.V. which certainly sounds similar.

Another thing that happened last night is that I got a letter from Joan asking you me and Renny to her wedding at 10.15 am on Friday 23rd at Hampstead Parish Church.  Renny can't com but I asked off this morning.  Joan also rang up and enquired whether I could come.  I told her definitely about myself but didn't promise for you.  Will you come? It would be great fun. I think I'll ring you up and ask you.

I have got my new lenses which seem very good.  At the moment I see better with my left eye than with my right but the optician says my eyes have to accustom themselves to the new lenses.

On reading through the details for applications for the Imperial Airway job I see that I have to have passed either Matric, or School Cert with 5 credits including English, Maths & a Modern Language.  I didn't go in for Matric but I passed School Cert with a fair number of credits though I don't know about five - but Maths quite definitely was not one of them.  I only got 33% - I have written home to ask if they have the Certificate there.

I got my photo from Selfridge.  Here is one but isn't it awful.  I wasn't quite ready & was just going to smile, hence the lazy lip.

Goodbye, my little darling.  I wish you were the size you were in your old photos so that I could pick you up in my arms and rock you.

I love you very much.

Terrick  XXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment